Monday, December 22, 2008

A Christmas to Remember...

This Christmas Rob and I are headed to Boise to spend it with my family. We are so very excited and hope that the roads and weather will be nice to us. Last Christmas I flew to California to spend Christmas with Rob and his family. Not everyone has heard that story so I will retell it for those of you who haven't.

I left Boise at about 4:30 pm on Christmas Day, had a lay over in Oakland, and then caught another flight to Ontario. Rob told me that he had made reservations for dinner, so I shouldn't worry about eating anything. He picked me up from the airport and we went to his house to open presents with his family. I'm starving by this time, but figure Rob made reservations so I'll be a good sport and wait to eat. We went to this restaurant, The Mission Inn in Riverside, and inform them that we have made reservations. Its about 9:30 at this time, and we stood by the hostess podium for 15 minutes before being seated... even though we were the only people waiting and the restaurant looked almost empty. After we were finally seated, another 15 minutes had passed and still no one had even asked us what we wanted to drink. We were both initially not impressed with the service. Then, on top of this, we overheard a gentlemen sitting across from us tell his server that he owns several restaurants himself and has never had worse service. That was the last straw for us and so we decide we did not want to eat there. We left The Mission Inn with hopes that there would be somewhere else open. WRONG. It was Christmas day, and nothing was open.

I told Rob that I'd be fine with Mac N' Cheese to tide me over (his mom always has Mac N' Cheese). So we just went home. But I was wrong again. No Mac N' Cheese. We had sandwiches and salad instead and I told Rob well we can at least open our presents to each other, but Rob tells me we have to wait. We have to wait and decorate our little tree. This whole time I'm complaining about being hungry and kinda being a brat. After everyone else had gone to bed we started decorating our tree and Rob handed me ornaments and explained why he picked each one. He had a baseball from us going to Angels games. A star from the Hollywood walk of fame. Disney ornaments from us going to Disneyland, and so on. When it came time to put something on the top of the tree Rob mentioned that usually the object at the top has deep meaning, whether it was an angel or a shining star. Then he got down on one knee and said, "But this star doesn't go on top of the tree it goes on your hand closest to your heart." Then he asked me to marry him. It was so cute, and it made me feel bad that i had been such a brat all evening. It was amazing, and definitely a Christmas to Remember.


1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm glad you posted that, what a cute story! Somehow when I act like a brat Ben always does something sweet that makes me feel so guilty. It must be the gift of husbands.