Sunday, June 20, 2010

Remembering Uncle Jim (Posted by Rob)


This week the Skaggs Family suffered a devastating loss as our beloved Uncle Jim has passed away. Jim was the heart of our family and was the very definition of what it meant to be a Skaggs. I will forever hold the fondest memories of my uncle and his attitude towards life will continue to be an example to me, and which attitude I can only hope to emulate in my own life.

Our family events revolved around Uncle Jim, his sharp wit and deep sense of humor brought life to every gathering. Jim was sarcastic, but never critical. He was passionate, but never crude or demeaning. He had an affectionate way of impersonating people and seemed to reserve a nickname for every one of his nieces and nephews. I loved the way Uncle Jim told a story, he was animated and his facial gestures spoke almost as much the words themselves did. His accounts usually involved Jim’s patented deep and almost guttural growl-voice which he reserved for impersonating older family members whom he held in the highest respect for.

Jim was always prepared with his camera at family functions and his organization and desire to take pictures has preserved a lifetime of cherished memories. Jim understood the priorities of life, the top of his list: Family. Jim established his home only a few blocks away from his parents and through the years he and his family have been a great convenience, comfort, and blessing to my grandparents. Jim has also been an example of righteous and unselfish living through his abundant service in the church. He devoted himself to many callings of high responsibility including Bishop and a Mission Presidency.

One of my closest friends married a wonderful girl that we both went to high school with and who converted to the gospel before they were wed and sealed in the temple. I had the pleasure of meeting the missionaries who taught my friend’s wife and they served in the Anaheim Mission under President Skaggs. When they learned my last name and my relation to their President Skaggs they could not contain the mountain of compliments, admiration, and sentiment they held for him.

There is so much to admire about Uncle Jim; his powerful relationship with his wife and children and the love and respect you can see they hold for him, his devotion and service to the gospel of Jesus Christ, and his general attitude, sense of humor, and respect towards others. He will be deeply missed and never forgotten.

8 comments:

Brit n' Ryan said...

This is beautiful, Rob. You said it all so well, couldn't agree more. Hope to get to see you this weekend. Love you, and happy father's day! :)

Kayla said...

Wow Rob. That was amazing. Miss him already...

Mark, Karen, Amanda & Joseph Skaggs said...

Thanks Rob for your touching tribute to my dad. It means a lot to me and I will share it with my mother.

Jennette said...

I enjoyed reading this. You described Uncle Jim perfectly. Can't wait to see you next week :)

Deb said...

Rob -- You described your Uncle Jim perfectly. He will be deeply missed by more than we will ever know.

David and Haylee Skaggs said...

Well done Bobert! So, are you guys coming down this weekend? If so, it'll be good to see you. If not, we'll just have to plan a little vaca out to Sac town.

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Oh this is so well written. I can't tell you how much this tribute means to me and all. Love you Rob and Jacque!

Rob said...

We will be down for the funeral this week. We look forward to seeing everyone, wish it could be under better circumstances but all the same we can't wait being with you.